In This Disintegrating World, Cinema is a Worthy Example of Unity: Amitabh Bachchan
Amitabh Bachchan was conferred with the Indian film personality of the year award winner at the 48th IFFI on Tuesday.
File photo of superstar Amitabh Bachchan (Image: Reuters)
Panaji: In a fast and disintegrating world, cinema is one of the most worthy examples of unity and integration, said Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan, who was conferred the Indian film personality of the year award winner at the 48th IFFI on Tuesday.
"I have always felt that my respect and regard for the Indian film industry has rested in the presence that the film industry has had in our world. When we sit inside a darkened hall, we never ask for caste, creed, colour or the religion of the person sitting next to us is," he said, in his award acceptance speech at the closing ceremony of the 2017 edition of the International Film Festival of India.
"Yet, we see the same film, we laugh at the same jokes, we cry at the same emotion, we sing the same songs. In this fast disintegrating world of today, where can you find such a wonderful and worthy example of unity and integration as you do in the world of cinema," he asked.
Citing a cinema-related anecdote involving his father and great Hindi poet Harivanshrai Bachchan, Amitabh said: "I once asked my father what do you getting watching films on TV every evening. He said: 'I get to see poetic justice in three hours. You and I will see poetic justice in perhaps a lifetime'."
Recommended For You
- [In Pics] Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro Leaked in a Series of Images: Notch Display, Dual Camera Confirmed
- Tendulkar Finds Ally in Kohli as Chorus Grows Against Use of Two New Balls in ODIs
- Deepika Padukone to Marry Ranveer Singh on November 10? Deets Inside
- Japan Volcano Featured in James Bond Movie Erupts, Ejecting Smoke and Rocks
- Divya Seth Shah to Play Manmohan Singh's Wife in The Accidental Prime Minister