Kiran Rao Keen To Make a Film on Singer Gauhar Jaan
Kiran Rao says she is keen to explore a film on the life and times of courtesan-turned-singer Gauhar Jaan, who cut a gramophone record in 1902.
Image: Yogen Shah
Mumbai: Filmmaker Kiran Rao says she is keen to explore a film on the life and times of courtesan-turned-singer Gauhar Jaan, who cut a gramophone record in 1902.
"Since a few years, I have been thinking of making a film on the life of Gauhar Jaan. I was trying to write the script as well, but now I think I should leave it for some years. But her life was so interesting and very few people know about her. I think a film made on her will be a treat for the audience," Kiran said on the sidelines of a special screening of "Poorna" here.
Gauhar Jaan is considered the pioneer of the thumri tradition in Indian classical music.
At the screening, Kiran praised Poorna and asserted that biopics are successful because they are interesting to watch.
"Biopics are interesting. There are very few biopics which are made on living people. Most of the times, biopics are made on people who are retired or dead. Films on strong people are always interesting to watch, and that's why biopics are so popular," said Kiran, whose husband actor Aamir Khan featured in "Dangal" -- a story inspired by wrestler Mahavir Singh Phogat.
Recommended For You
- Saroj Khan Refuses To Comment on Jacqueline Fernandez's Highly Criticised 'Ek do teen' Revival
- 2018 Mercedes-Benz S-Class First Drive: Is it The Best Car In The World in 2018?
- PSL 2018: Helicopter Used to Dry Wet Outfield in Lahore
- Stars Ooze Glamour at News18 REEL Movie Awards Red Carpet
- Jackie Shroff's Wife Ayesha to be Interrogated as Call Record Scam Grows