Kolkata-based Documentary Filmmaker Hangs Self in His Flat
A 48-year-old documentary filmmaker from Kolkata hanged himself, apparently due to depression, police said on Monday.
Kolkata: A 48-year-old documentary filmmaker from Kolkata hanged himself, apparently due to depression, police said on Monday.
"Arghya Basu living in Santoshpur area was found hanging in his flat on March 1. He was declared brought dead in a hospital," said an officer of Survey Park police station.
He said after speaking to the neighbours, the investigators found out that he was suffering from depression. But no suicide letter was recovered.
"The body has been sent for post-mortem," the officer said.
During the #MeToo movement, filmmaker, producer, FTII graduate and former faculty member Nishtha Jain, who directed the National Award-winning documentary Gulabi Gang, had accused Arghya Basu (a former FTII faculty named on the list) of sexual assualt, an allegation which he denied.
Follow @News18Movies for more
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Tamil Nadu's New EV Policy Seeks Full Road Tax Exemption for Electric Vehicles Until 2022
- Angad Bedi is All Praise for Ex-flame Nora Fatehi
- Liam Hemsworth Came to Know of Miley Cyrus' Decision to Split from Social Media
- BSNL Rs 777 Broadband Plan Gets You 50 Mbps Speed And 500GB Data
- Mark The Calendar, Here is When Your iPhone, Watch, iPad and MacBook Get Updated