National Award Winner Rima Das' Assamese Film Heads to Berlin
Rima Das, who won the National Award for Village Rockstars, is headed to the Berlinale with her new film, Bulbul Can Sing
File photo of Rima Das. (Image: Facebook)
National Award-winning filmmaker Rima Das' Assamese feature film Bulbul Can Sing will compete in the Generation 14 Plus category at the Berlin International Film Festival 2019. After having its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival, the film is all set to have its European Premiere at the upcoming edition of the Berlin International Film Festival.
Bulbul Can Sing is about a teenaged girl, Bulbul, living in a village in Assam, fighting her way through love and loss as she figures out who she really is.
"Bulbul Can Sing is selected for Berlinale. After the film premiered in Toronto, I didn't think we would get an invitation from Berlin because top festivals like Cannes, Berlin, Toronto and Venice usually ask for a world premiere. They accept other films only in case of an exception! So it's a huge achievement," Rima said in a statement.
"After getting immense love and appreciation from people for Village Rockstars, it was very challenging for me to come out with a new film which would meet people's expectation. But seeing the extraordinary journey of Bulbul..., I feel more hopeful now," she added.
Village Rockstars was the official entry from India to the Oscars. It didn't make it to the shortlist.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Lisa Haydon Gives Another Fitness Inspiration with New Pictures of Her Baby Bump
- I-League 2019-20: Srinagar Airport 'Inoperative', Real Kashmir FC's Next 2 Games Cancelled
- Ramya Krishnan on Comparisons Between Queen and Kangana Ranaut's Thalaivi: Our Show will Release First
- India vs West Indies | Virat Kohli Screamer Lights Up Gloomy Day for Fielders
- Nike Joyride Dual Run Review: The Running Shoe Revolution is Truly Underway