Oscars 2017: Dev Patel Misses Out; Mahershala Ali Wins Best Supporting Actor For Moonlight
he actor became the first Muslim actor to win the golden statue for his role in Moonlight.
Image: A still from Moonlight.
Mahershala Ali is the winner of the Academy Award for best supporting actor for his Moonlight role. The actor became the first Muslim actor to win the golden statue for his role in Moonlight. Ali won for his first Oscar-nominated role, in which he plays a Miami drug dealer who mentors a young boy who is being teased and bullied.
It has been a breakout year for Ali, who starred on the Netflix series Luke Cage and also had a role in another Oscar-nominated film, Hidden Figures."
Ali paid tribute to his teachers and Moonlight director Barry Jenkins in his acceptance speech and thanked his wife, who gave birth to their daughter four days ago.
Indian origin Brit actor Dev Patel was one of Ali's co-nominees in the category. Patel was nominated for his role in Lion, based on a real life story of a lost Indian boy who is adopted by an Australian couple and eventually traced his biological mother and home back in India years later.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Bigg Boss 13: Are Sidharth Shukla and Arti Singh Getting Close Again?
- Google Pixel 4 isn't Coming to India and Desi Fanboys are Upset With Sundar Pichai
- Bajaj Chetak Electric Scooter Unveiled: Here's All You Need to Know
- Xiaomi Mi Air Purifier 2C at Rs 6499 Lands Ahead of Peak Pollution Season
- Mercedes-Benz G 350 d Launched at Rs 1.5 Crore in India