Padmavati Row: CM Nitish Kumar Bans Sanjay Leela Bhansali's Film In Bihar
The ban on Padmavati in Bihar would be in place 'till controversy surrounding it gets over'.
A still from Sanjay Leela Bhansali's magnum opus Padmavat. (Youtube)
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Tuesday ordered a ban on Sanjay Leela Bhansali's Padmavati in the state.
The Chief Minister ordered concerned officials to ban the release after BJP MLA Neeraj Kumar Bablu demanded it in a letter.
The ban on Padmavati in Bihar would be in place "till controversy surrounding it gets over".
Bablu belongs to upper caste Rajput, the community which has been protesting against the film over alleged "distortion of historical facts".
The ban by Bihar, ruled by a JD-U-BJP coalition, follows that by BJP ruled Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan.
Several groups, mainly Rajput, have been demanding a ban on Padmavati, starring Deepika Padukone with Ranveer Singh and Shahid Kapoor in key roles.
The film was earlier scheduled to be released on December 1, but it has been deferred.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- This is My Father's Money, Says KBC 11 Crorepati Sanoj Raj
- Russian Goalkeeper Saveli Kononov Gets AK-47 for his Man of the Match Performance
- 2020 Women's U-17 FIFA World Cup to be Held in India from November 2-21
- Apple TV Plus Shows, Prices Compared with Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hotstar, Zee5
- Mi TV Netflix Support to Finally Roll Out on September 17, Suggests Teaser