Scarlett Johansson Responds To Backlash For Being Cast As Transgender Man In Rub & Tug
Actress Scarlett Johansson has once again come under the fire for her recent choice to play massage parlor owner Dante “Tex” Gill in the upcoming mob drama 'Rub & Tug'.
Scarlett Johansson attends the Planned Parenthood 100th Anniversary Gala at Pier 36 on May 2, 2017 in New York City. (Image: Getty Images)
In a statement obtained by Bustle, the actress said via her representative that "Tell them (trollers) they can be directed to Jeffrey Tambor, Jared Leto, and Felicity Huffman's representatives for comment."
Johansson, 33, has been one of the world's highest paid actresses from 2014-2016. She has acted in popular films like Just not into you, Under this skin, and Hitchcock.
Her choice of playing a transgender man in her new film has left people criticising her on Twitter.
Literally the LEAST you could do when making a movie about trans people is to cast a trans person in the role that was written for them. Scarlett Johansson needs to stop naievely choosing roles, and studios need to do better.— Derek Abolish ICE Sherry 🌹 (@NotKyleSherry) July 4, 2018
Scarlett Johansson is canceled.— 💖✨Mel✨💖 (@grungeugly) July 4, 2018
I cannot get over how selfish Scarlett Johansson is— Quinn (for now) ♥️💜💙 (@jademoonfire) July 4, 2018
No offense to Scarlett Johansson but there are many beautiful trans women in the world, and I MEAN MANY...so ask Hollywood to keep looking!— Tshepi Makhatha (@TshepiMakhatha) July 4, 2018
Recommended For You
- BCCI Skips Asian Cricket Council Meet in Lahore Due to Security Concerns
- Team Needs to Peak Now After Disappointing Year, Says India's Vice-captain Ahead of Hockey World Cup
- This Country Has the Least Number of Toilets in the World, and It's Not India
- 1st Ducati Panigale V4 Speciale Superbike Worth Rs 51.81 Lakh Arrives in India
- Upcoming Maruti Suzuki Ertiga 2018 Spied Completely Undisguised, Interiors Spied Too