Triple Talaq Should be Legally Banned: Javed Akhtar
Javed Akhtar has lent his support for ending triple talaq, saying the instant divorce practice should be legally banned and declared a cognizable offence.
Image: Yogen Shah
Mumbai: Popular lyricist-screenwriter Javed Akhtar has lent his support for ending triple talaq, saying the instant divorce practice should be legally banned and declared a "cognizable offence".
Akhtar tweeted on Tuesday: "AIMPLB (All India Muslim Personal Law Board) cannot be trusted. They are just trying to get off the hook. Three divorces should be legally banned and declared a cognizable offence."
AIMPLB can not be trusted . They are just trying to get off the hook .3 divorce should be legally banned n declared a cognizable offence .
— Javed Akhtar (@Javedakhtarjadu) May 23, 2017
His tweet comes a day after the AIMPLB told the Supreme Court that it will tell Qazis to "advise" the bridegroom and bride during nikah to do away with the provision of triple talaq as it was undesirable in Shariat.
Last year too, Akhtar had condemned the AIMPLB for justifying the instant divorce system.
Catch the biggest newsmakers and the biggest newsbreaks on CNN-News18, the only news destination. Keep watching CNN-News18 at just 50 paise per month. Contact your cable/DTH operator now!
*Rental/capacity fee of Rs. 130/- as charged by cable/DTH operator may apply. **GST extra.
Recommended For You
- Cristiano Ronaldo Pleads Guilty to Tax Fraud at Madrid Court, Accepts Suspended Sentence
- ‘Gender Sensitisation’ Programmes on the Anvil: BCCI GM Saba Karim
- Guinness World Records Makes a Man Eat Humble Pie After His Failed Pi Memorisation Record 'Attempt'
- Good News: Akshay Kumar-Kareena Kapoor Film Gets a New Release Date, Check Out
- Spider-Man Tom Holland Accidentally Uploads Entire Avengers: Endgame on Twitter? Deets Inside
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s