Turban is our identity, our pride: Diljit Dosanjh on Sikh actor Waris Ahluwalia being barred from boarding Aeromexico flight
Actor Diljit Dosanjh, who was recently seen in ‘Sardaarji’, is deeply saddened by the recent instance.
Popular Indian-American actor and designer Waris Ahluwalia’s was barred from boarding an Aeromexico flight from Mexico City to New York because he didn’t give in to pressure to remove his turban.
While the incident explains how Sikhs across the world continue to be subjected to harassment by those who mistakenly perceive them as Muslims, it also shows the irresponsible behaviour of the airport staff.
Such incidents of discrimination not only cause great grief among the people who are the receiving end and the communities associated with it, but also threaten them.
Actor Diljit Dosanjh, whose songs and films often emphasise the tenets of Sikhism, took to Twitter to express his reaction.
— Diljit Ambarsariya (@diljitdosanjh) February 9, 2016
In a statement issued by his publicist, he said, “Read about Waris Ahluwalia who was told that he can't board flight because of his turban. Stopping someone because of their race, religion, or appearance is a racial discrimination. If a person looks different from others it doesn't make them a suspect. I think the airport staff needs more training and education. So we won't have to suffer from discrimination. Turban is our identity, our pride!”
Recommended For You
- Viswanathan Anand Seals Blitz Title in Style by Beating Hikaru Nakamura
- DeepVeer Ki Shaadi: Ranveer Singh, Deepika Padukone are Married Now, See First Pics
- Karan Johar Apologises for Hurting Northeast Sentiments, Says It was 'Unintentional'
- After Losing Her Fiancé in Lion Air Crash, Indonesian Woman Takes Wedding Photos Alone
- Alien Nation: NASA Says It Wants People on Mars Within 25 years