Actor Alok Nath who has been accused of rape and sexual harassment by writer-producer Vinta Nanda was on Saturday granted anticipatory bail by the Dindoshi Sessions Court, news agency ANI reported.
On October 8, 2018, Vinta Nanda, in a detailed Facebook post, alleged that Nath raped her more than once 19 years ago after he was sacked from their iconic show Tara for misbehaving with its lead actress.
After sharing her experience of harassment on social media, she also filed a case against Alok Nath at the Oshiwara police station. An FIR was registered against the actor by the Oshiwara Police and the charges were filed under section 376 of IPC (rape).
In her post, Nanda called Nath an entitled drunk and wrote, “He was an alcoholic, shameless and obnoxious but he was also the television star of that decade, so not only was he forgiven for all his bad behaviour but many of the guys would egg him on to be his worst. My lead female actor was being harassed by him. He would mess with her on the sets and everyone would be silent. When she complained to us, we decided to let him go.”
Earlier in his response to the allegations, Nath said, “Neither I am denying this nor do I would agree with it. It (rape) must have happened, but someone else would have done it."
Since both Vinta and Alok were members of CINTAA, the association had also sent a letter to the accused seeking an explanation on the allegation.
The association had condemned the act of sexual harassment in October. Ashok Pandit, one of the members of CINTAA, had told IANS, "When the victim is complaining to us, we as the member of the federation will have to take a stand and we will do that."
Other than Nanda, Sandhya Mridul had also shared her account of being harassed by Nath.