Sports Ministry Sets up Committee to Probe Apathy in OP Jaisha's Case
The Sports Ministry on Tuesday constituted a two-member committee to probe the allegations of official apathy levelled by marathon runner OP Jaisha, who claims to have been denied water refreshment during her event at the Rio Olympic Games.
OP Jaisha lays on the track after finishing third for the bronze medal in the Women's 5000m during the 15th Asian Games Doha 2006. (Getty Images)
New Delhi: The Sports Ministry on Tuesday constituted a two-member committee to probe the allegations of official apathy levelled by marathon runner O P Jaisha, who claims to have been denied water refreshment during her event at the Rio Olympic Games.
Jaisha, who finished 89th in the marathon event, has alleged that no water or energy drinks were made available by the Indian officials during her event, leaving her completely exhausted at the end of the race. She had fainted after crossing the finishing line.
The Athletics Federation of India (AFI), however, has asserted that the athlete herself refused any such arrangement when approached a day before the event.
"The Minister of State, Youth Affairs and Sports Shri Vijay Goel has constituted a two-member Committee consisting of Shri Onkar Kedia, Joint Secretary (Sports) and Shri Vivek Narayan, Director (Sports) to enquire into the allegations of Ms. OP Jaisha," a press release from ministry said.
Jaisha, after returning from Brazil, claimed that officials from all other countries provided refreshments to their runners at designated points set up every 2.5 km.
The committee will submit its report in seven days.
Recommended For You
- WATCH | Kapil Dev Recollects His Knock of 175 Against Zimbabwe
- How Avengers Endgame Continued Marvel Sequels' Winning Streak at the Box Office
- Xiaomi is Making Fun of Other Android Smartphones With Notches, as it Promotes The Mi 9T
- The Apple iPhone 2020 Lineup Expected to Have OLED Displays With 5G Support, Says Ming-Chi Kuo
- Would You Like to Watch Adverts on Netflix And Hotstar? Some Will, if it Reduces Subscription Cost
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s