IOA Sends a 208-member Contingent to Fifth Asian Beach Games
Indian Olympic Association on Tuesday announced that it would send a contingent of 208 members to participate in the 5th Asian Beach Games starting on September 24 at Danang, Vietnam.
A file photo of Rajeev Mehta, Secretary General, IOA. (Getty Images)
New Delhi: Indian Olympic Association (IOA) on Tuesday announced that it would send a contingent of 208 members to participate in the 5th Asian Beach Games starting on September 24 at Danang, Vietnam.
IOA is sending a larger contingent this year as compared to the last games held in Phuket 2014 where about 117 athletes participated.
The athletes will participate in 13 disciplines which include, swimming, Kabaddi, Handball, Kurash, Pencak Silat, Sambo, Ju-Jitsu, Woodball, Sepaktaklaw, Pentaque, Shuttlecock, Voninam and Muay Thai.
The Asian Games held in 2014 in Phuket, saw India take home 2 gold medals, 1 silver medal and 7 bronze medals. In the overall medal tally India stands at a world rank of number 9, with a total of 10 gold medals, 1 silver medal and 11 bronze medals.
With a much larger contingent, India is hoping on to get more medals this time. The athletes have started departing for Vietnam.
Rajeev Mehta, Secretary General, IOA said, "We are sending a bigger contingent this time for the Asian Beach Games. I wish them all the very best for the games. We are expecting India to win maximum medals this year, and also improve their overall medal tally."
Recommended For You
- WWT20: ICC Trolls Confused Pakistan Fans With Hilarious Tweet
- Priyanka Chopra Beats Nick Jonas in Mortal Kombat, See Pics
- Preity Zinta's Giggling Dismissal of #MeToo is a Reminder that On-Screen Feminism isn't Always Real
- Lux Golden Rose Award: Kareena-Alia’s Chic Gowns to Shah Rukh-Varun’s Charm
- Got Cash, Take Her: How Saif Ali Khan and Sara Made Koffee With Karan a Fun Watch