Vijay Kumar wins gold at National Shooting Championship
Vijay Kumar shot his way to the men's 25-metre centre fire pistol gold medal on day 12 of the 59th National Shooting Championship.
Photo Credit: Getty Images
New Delhi: Olympic medallist Vijay Kumar shot his way to the men's 25-metre centre fire pistol gold medal on day 12 of the 59th National Shooting Championship here on Sunday.
Vijay, who has not yet secured a quota for the upcoming Rio Olympics, is trying to get back to his best after being laid low by injury over the past couple of years.
The win at the Dr. Karni Singh Shooting Range will give him a lot of confidence before the final Rio Olympic qualifying event begins at the same venue in January 2016.
Gurpreet Singh of the Army won the silver while national rapid fire pistol champion Pemba Tamang bagged the bronze to make it a clean sweep for the Army team.
Vijay shot a combined score of 588 over the rapid and precision rounds to edge out Gurpreet who finished with a 586.
Pemba managed 582 to secure the third place.
Earlier on Saturday, Olympic medallist Gagan Narang had prevented yet another Army clean sweep in the men's 10-metre air rifle event when he won the silver medal in a final field that had five army men.
Imran Hasan Khan had won the gold in the event while another army marksman Chain Singh had won bronze.
Recommended For You
- Pakistan Fans Trashing Their Own Team After India’s World Cup Victory is Pure Gold
- Gautam Gambhir Pads Up By Taking Oath as Lok Sabha MP
- Nach Baliye 9: Urvashi Dholakia Confirms Participating With Ex-boyfriend Anuj Sachdeva
- NASA Just Found Stark Trek's 'Starfleet' Insignia On Surface of Mars
- Mumbai's 'Dabbawalas' Get New Comic Book Based On Them
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s