AAP Fields its First Transgender Candidate from Prayagraj in Uttar Pradesh
Mahamandaleshwar Bhawani Nath Valmiki is a social activist and has been a jury member of the Delhi international film festival.
Member of 'Kinnar Akhada' Mahamandaleshwar Bhawani Nath Valmiki will contest on the Aam Aadmi Party ticket from Prayagraj.
New Delhi: Senior AAP leader Sanjay Singh on Friday said his party has fielded its first transgender candidate from the Prayagraj seat in Uttar Pradesh for the upcoming Lok Sabha elections.
Member of 'Kinnar Akhada' Mahamandaleshwar Bhawani Nath Valmiki will contest on the Aam Aadmi Party ticket from Prayagraj, Singh said.
The senior AAP leader hoped that Valmiki wins and becomes the first transgender to become the Member of Parliament.
"BJP has insulted the transgender community by bringing a derogatory bill (Transgender Persons Protection of Rights Bill, 2016) against them.
"The AAP has utmost respect for the community and this move of ours proves it," he said.
Valmiki, 46, is a social activist and has been a jury member of the Delhi international film festival.
The other candidates fielded by the party in Uttar Pradesh include Ajeet Sonkar from Aliganj, Anju Saini from Sambhal and Aushutosh Bhrachari from Kanpur Dehat.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Gautam Kumar Jha Becomes Third Crorepati on KBC, Quits at Rs 7 Crore Question
- Ranveer Singh Gets Cheeky with Deepika Padukone on Social Media
- Samsung Diwali Sale: Offers on Galaxy S9, Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy M10s and More
- Truecaller Makes a Big Privacy Pitch as Focus on Instant Messaging Intensifies
- FASTag Will Soon be Mandatory For Your Car: This is How The Digital Payment Tag Works