Ahmed Patel New Treasurer of Congress as Rahul Gandhi Opts for Rejig Ahead of 2019 Elections
Patel, the once powerful political secretary of Sonia Gandhi, will replace Motilal Vora who has been appointed as general secretary in-charge of administration.
New Delhi: Congress president Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday appointed Ahmed Patel as the treasurer of the party.
Patel, the once powerful political secretary of Sonia Gandhi, will replace Motilal Vora who has been appointed as general secretary in-charge of administration. Anand Sharma will be the new chairman of the party's foreign cell.
The rejig in the old guard comes a month after Rahul nominated the Congress Working Committee (CWC) dropping some senior faces that included Digvijaya Singh, Sushilkumar Shinde and Janardan Dwivedi. Patel’s appointment ahead of the next year’s general elections is being seen as an attempt by the Congress president to strike a balance between the old guard and the young turks.
In July this year, Rahul constituted the Congress Working Committee, the party's highest decision-making body.
The new CWC, however, included other veterans like A K Antony, Ahmed Patel, Ambika Soni, Motilal Vora, Ghulam Nabi Azad, Mallikarjun Kharge, Anand Sharma and Kumari Selja.
The new CWC includes 23 members, 19 permanent invitees and 9 special invitees.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Investors and Stock Holders are Celebrating Corporate Tax Cut News, With Memes
- Sony Bravia A9G OLED Master Series Review: The TV to Buy If You Are Rich Enough
- Arjun Kapoor Trolls Alia Bhatt Over African Safari 'vlog'
- Hours After Decomposed Body Found at Nagarjuna's Telangana Farmhouse, Police Hint at Case of Suicide
- Your Apple iPhone And iPad Will Get iOS 13.1 And iPadOS Sooner Than Expected