Amarinder Won't Meet 'Pro-Khalistan' Canadian Defence Minister
Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh has refused to meet Canadian Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan during his visit later this month to India.
A file photo of Punjab Chief Minister Capt. Amarinder Singh.
Chandigarh: Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh has refused to meet Canadian Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan during his visit later this month to India.
Speaking on a TV show Captain Amarinder Singh said Harjit Sajjan is a known Khalistani sympathiser and Captain Amarinder Singh does not want to meet up with such sympathisers who are a part of the Justin Trudeau cabinet.
In the run-up to the Punjab assembly polls, Captain Amarinder Singh had been denied permission to address rallies in Canada and he attributed the refusal to the “Khalistani sympathisers” in the Canadian government.
The Punjab Chief Minister had earlier too said there are Khalistani sympathisers among Canadian ministers. Harjit Sajjan is a high-profile Indo-Canadian minister in the Trudeau government and is expected to make his first visit to India later this month following his appointment as Defence Minister.
The first Sikh Defence Minister of Canada was born in 1970 in Hoshiarpur in Punjab and was also the first Sikh to command an army Regiment in Canada. The Khalistani movement which was at its peak in the early eighties was a movement by a section of Sikhs to demand a separate Homeland for the Sikhs.
Recommended For You
- Prithvi Shaw Boost for Formidable Mumbai Ahead of Vijay Hazare Semi-final vs Hyderabad
- Last Weekend was the Worst for Bollywood Releases in a Long Time
- Thugs of Hindostan Song 'Vashmalle' has Aamir Khan, Amitabh Bachchan in a Dance Face-Off
- Winning is my Only Objective, Experts Decide Who’s the Best: Modric
- Samsung Galaxy W2019 Listed on TENNA Will Have Two 4.2-Inch Screens, 3,000mAh Battery