Amritsar East Election Results 2017: Navjot Singh Sidhu of Congress Wins
Navjot Singh Sindhu, the celebrity and a former cricketer, switched to Congress from BJP before the election.
INC's star candidate Navjot Singh Sidhu has won in Amritsar East, defeating BJP's Rajesh Kumar Honey to win the seat of constituency No. 18 of the Punjab Legislative Assembly. He got 60,477 votes.
The main candidates from Amritsar East were Tarsem Singh (BSP), Sarabjot Singh Dhanjal (AAP) and Rajesh Kumar Honey (BJP), Navjot Singh Sidhu(INC), Baldev Singh (CPI).
Navjot Singh Sindhu, the celebrity and a former cricketer, recently switched to Congress from BJP and is currently leading.
In 2012, the state had voted in favour of the BJP-Akali Dal combine, bringing Parkash Singh Badal back to power.
This time the ruling combine is facing a resurgent Congress and the debutant Aam Aadmi Party. The state was the first to vote among the five states that went to the polls this time. Elections to the 117-seat Punjab Assembly were held on February 4.
Exit polls have predicted a drubbing for the BJP-Akali Dal combine in the state with the Congress and the AAP predicted to be neck-and-neck.
For live Punjab Assembly election results click here
Recommended For You
- IPL 2019 | Moments When Rishabh Pant Made His Bat do the Talking
- 'Out or Not Out?': ICC Turns Third Umpire to Confused Gully Cricketers in Pakistan
- Salman Khan's Bharat Trailer to be Showcased with Avengers: Endgame
- Kesari Weekend Collection: Akshay Kumar's War Drama Banks Close to 80 Cr at Box Office
- Jawa to Auction Motorcycles to Raise Funds for Armed Forces Ahead of Deliveries
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s