Amritsar East Election Results 2017: Navjot Singh Sidhu of Congress Wins
Navjot Singh Sindhu, the celebrity and a former cricketer, switched to Congress from BJP before the election.
INC's star candidate Navjot Singh Sidhu has won in Amritsar East, defeating BJP's Rajesh Kumar Honey to win the seat of constituency No. 18 of the Punjab Legislative Assembly. He got 60,477 votes.
The main candidates from Amritsar East were Tarsem Singh (BSP), Sarabjot Singh Dhanjal (AAP) and Rajesh Kumar Honey (BJP), Navjot Singh Sidhu(INC), Baldev Singh (CPI).
Navjot Singh Sindhu, the celebrity and a former cricketer, recently switched to Congress from BJP and is currently leading.
In 2012, the state had voted in favour of the BJP-Akali Dal combine, bringing Parkash Singh Badal back to power.
This time the ruling combine is facing a resurgent Congress and the debutant Aam Aadmi Party. The state was the first to vote among the five states that went to the polls this time. Elections to the 117-seat Punjab Assembly were held on February 4.
Exit polls have predicted a drubbing for the BJP-Akali Dal combine in the state with the Congress and the AAP predicted to be neck-and-neck.
For live Punjab Assembly election results click here
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- 'And the Oscar Goes to...': Lazy Horse Acts Dead Every Time Someone Tries to Ride it
- Bigg Boss 13: Abu Malik Says Shehnaz Gill Has Support of Salman Khan
- Sara Ali Khan's Bikini Pics from Sri Lankan Getaway Are Proof of Beachside Vacay Done Right
- Apple Watch Saves Another Life; This Time a Man Who Fell Off a Cliff And Broke His Back
- India vs South Africa | Happy to Make Teams Dance to Our Tunes: Shami