Articles Granting Special Status to Jammu & Kashmir Should Be Scrapped, Says Rajnath Singh
The home minister also criticised National Conference leader Omar Abdullah for saying there should be a separate prime minister for the state.
File photo of Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh (Image : PTI).
Lucknow: Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh Sunday said Articles 370 and Article 35A should be seriously reviewed and scrapped.
While Article 370 gives autonomous status to Jammu and Kashmir, Article 35A allows the Himalayan state's legislature to define permanent residents of the state.
Speaking at a voters' awareness programme here, Singh attacked National Conference leader Omar Abdullah for his recent remarks that there should be a separate prime minister for Kashmir.
"When a person, who has occupied a Constitutional post says such things, then Articles 370 and 35A should be seriously reviewed. Since these (provisions) have mostly caused losses, Article 370 and 35A should be scrapped."
Singh said, "There is a conspiracy in Jammu and Kashmir. Some organisations want to kindle the feelings of separatism among the people, but majority want to stay with India. Barring three-four organisations, the rest are with India."
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Hrithik Roshan Gives Back to Tiger Shroff's Krrish Meme by Sporting Flying Jatt T-shirt
- 33,000 People Want Oxford Dictionary to Change its Definition of 'Woman'. Here's Why.
- Images of Mars' Icy Dunes Might Make You Crave for Some Ice-Cream
- Cristiano Ronaldo Says He Deserves to Win More Ballon d’Or Awards Than Messi
- Tamil Nadu's New EV Policy Seeks Full Road Tax Exemption for Electric Vehicles Until 2022