Bengal Minister Dubs Triple Talaq Bill as 'Draconian', Says it Interferes in Muslim Personal Laws
The minister said that they are against and the triple talaq bill and will not abide by it. He also mentioned that it will be opposed by the Muslum community of the country.
Representative photo. (Network18 Creatives)
Kolkata: West Bengal minister and president of the Jamiat Ulema-e-Hind's West Bengal unit, Siddiqullah Chowdhury, on Thursday dubbed the triple talaq bill as "draconian", saying it is a "direct interference" in Muslim personal laws.
President Ram Nath Kovind has given assent to the bill, making it a law, a government notification said on Wednesday.
"We won't tolerate this direct interference in our personal laws. We are against this triple talaq law and will not abide by it. It will be opposed tooth and nail by the Muslim community of the country," Chowdhury told PTI.
The bill, which prescribes up to three years imprisonment for Muslim men giving instant triple talaq to their wives, was passed by the Parliament on Tuesday.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Malaika Arora Shows How to Stretch in Her Monday Motivation Pics, See Here
- Hrithik Roshan, Sussanne Khan Step Out Together for Sunday Brunch with Kids, See Pics
- Bigg Boss 13 Day 14 Written Update: Salman Khan Eliminates Koena Mitra on Weekend Ka Vaar
- This Airline's All-Women Crew Flew 120 Young Girls to NASA to Promote Gender Equality
- 15-year-old Coco Gauff Beat Jelena Ostapenko to Win First WTA Title at Linz