BJP Fields Deceased MLA Pakash Pant's Wife for Uttarakhand's Pithoragarh Bypoll
The candidature from the seat makes it clear that the BJP is primarily eying sympathy votes in Pithoragarh by banking on the popularity of Pant who died battling cancer during his tenure.
Dehradun: The Bharatiya Janata Party on Saturday announced Chandra Pant as the party's candidate for the Pithoragarh assembly bypoll in Uttarakhand later this month.
A teacher by profession, Chandra Pant is the wife of former state finance and parliamentary affairs minister Prakash Pant, whose death in June necessitated the by-election to the seat located in the Kumaon region of the state.
Chandra Pant's candidature for the seat was announced by working president J P Nadda, state BJP media incharge Devendra Bhasin said.
The candidature from the seat makes it clear that the BJP is primarily eying sympathy votes in Pithoragarh. It is banking largely on the popularity of Pant, who represented the seat thrice in assembly and died battling cancer during his tenure.
Bypoll to the Pithoragarh seat is scheduled to be held on November 25 and the counting will be held on November 28.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Kangana Ranaut Impresses in Her Fighter Pilot Look in 'Tejas'
- Asim Riaz Snubs Priyanka Chopra's Cousin Meera Chopra's Charge that Bigg Boss 13 was Fixed
- The Airtel Xstream Fiber Broadband is Good Enough to Deserve a Complete Review
- Samsung Galaxy S20, S20 Plus, S20 Ultra India Price Announced: Here Are All The Details
- World SnowShoe Championship: Kashmiri Athletes Create History as They Bag 3 Medals