Chandan Mitra Resigns from BJP, May Join Trinamool Congress
Though there was no word from him about his next move, sources said he may join the TMC
File photo of Chandan Mitra.
New Delhi: Two-term former Rajya Sabha member Chandan Mitra has resigned from the BJP amid speculation that he may join the Trinamool Congress.
"I have sent my resignation letter (to BJP)," Mitra, who is a senior journalist, told PTI.
Though there was no word from him about his next move, sources said he may join the TMC with a leader from the regional party saying that Mitra is likely to be present at the party's 'martyrs' day' rally in Kolkata on July 21.
Considered close to veteran BJP leader L K Advani, Mitra was nominated to the Upper House in 2003 when the BJP-led NDA was in power at the Centre and again elected to the House in 2010 from Madhya Pradesh on the party's ticket.
However, his political stock within the party plunged under Prime Minister Narendra Modi and BJP president Amit Shah, and he was left with little organisational responsibility.
He was fielded as the party's candidate from Hooghly in West Bengal in the 2014 Lok Sabha election and came a distant third. PTI
Recommended For You
- Twitter Explodes with 'Priyanka Chopra Joins RSS' Memes as Actress Steps Out in Khaki Shorts
- Cricket World Cup 2019 | Shoaib Malik & Sania Mirza Hit Back at Twitter Trolling
- Jasleen Matharu Reportedly Files FIR Against Deepak Thakur, Ranveer Singh Goes on a Selfie Spree at ICC World Cup
- Played Pokémon Growing Up? Your Brain May Have a 'Special Region' For It
- Angelina Jolie And Keanu Reeves Dating, Claim Multiple Reports
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s