- Municipal Corporations 9/10
- TRS 8
- INC 0
- BJP 1
- AIMIM 0
- OTH 0
- MUNICIPALITIES 113/120
- TRS 98
- INC 6
- BJP 3
- AIMIM 2
- OTH 4
Citizenship Act 'Unconstitutional', Shouldn't be Enforced in Maharashtra, Says Ashok Chavan
Large parts of the country, especially West Bengal and the north-east, saw widespread protests after the Citizenship (Amendment) Act was enacted last week.
File image of Congress leader Ashok Chavan. (Image: PTI)
Nagpur: Senior Congress leader Ashok Chavan on Wednesday dubbed the amended Citizenship Act as "unconstitutional", and said it should not be implemented in Maharashtra.
Large parts of the country, especially West Bengal and the north-east, saw widespread protests after the Citizenship (Amendment) Act (CAA) was enacted last week.
Students of several colleges and universities across the country, including Jamia Millia Islamia in New Delhi and the Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) in Uttar Pradesh strongly protested against the new citizenship law.
Raising the matter in the Maharashtra Assembly, Chavan said, "It is an unconstitutional Act. It should not be implemented in the state."
"Some college students in Maharashtra have disapproved of the amended Citizenship Act. They have expressed their solidarity with people of the north-east as well," the former chief minister noted.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Panga Gets Sandwiched Between Street Dancer 3D and Tanhaji at the Box Office
- Nancy Drew to Die on 90th Anniversary, but Hardy Boys Will Solve the Murder. Wait, What?
- PUBG Mobile: Season 12 Leaks Confirm 2nd Anniversary Royale Pass Theme
- Over 24,000 Undelivered Letters Found Stashed at Former Postman's House in Japan
- Trump Trolled for Sharing 'Ridiculous' Meme with Photoshopped Image of Obama Spying on Him