Citizenship Amendment Bill Unconstitutional, will Totally Destroy Minorities: Deve Gowda
Janata Dal (Secular) president and former prime minister HD Deve Gowda said the Bill was contrary to the principles of secularism and other rights incorporated in the Constitution.
File photo of JD(S) supremo HD Deve Gowda.
New Delhi: Former prime minister H D Deve Gowda on Wednesday said he was opposed to the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill as "it will totally destroy minorities and is unconstitutional".
Talking to PTI over phone, the Janata Dal (Secular) president said the Bill was contrary to the principles of secularism and other rights incorporated in the Constitution.
"You can't go against secularism and other constitutional principles," he said.
"I can't support such a Bill" as it would create "unrest" in the country, he added.
The Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, which seeks to provide Indian citizenship to non-Muslim migrants from Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan, was passed by Rajya Sabha on Wednesday. Lok Sabha cleared the Bill on Monday.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Bigg Boss 13: Sara Ali Khan Greets Salman Khan with Aadaab and Internet is Loving it
- The Curious Case of BJP's Tajinder Singh Bagga, Twitter 'Troll' Who Could be Future Neta
- Ratan Tata Shares Picture of That 'Friend' He Looks Forward to Meeting Everyday in Office
- American Airlines Flight Makes Emergency Landing to Deplane Unruly Passenger
- These Memes From Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan Trailer Prove That the Film is Already a Hit