Congress Fields Ashish Deshmukh Against Fadnavis for Nagpur South West Seat
Ashish's father Ranjit Deshmukh was defeated by Devendra Fadnavis from Nagpur West constituency in the 2004 assembly elections.
File photo of Ashish Deshmukh. (Image: Wikimedia Commons)
Nagpur: The Congress on Thursday fielded former BJP MLA Ashish Deshmukh as its candidate from the Nagpur South West seat against Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis.
The name of Deshmukh, who is a strong supporter of the demand for a separate state of Vidarbha, was announced in the list of 19 candidates finalised on Thursday night.
His father Ranjit Deshmukh (former Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee chief and a state minister) had been defeated by Fadnavis from Nagpur West constituency in the 2004 assembly election.
Ashish Deshmukh was elected from the Katol Assembly seat from BJP in year 2014. However, he had resigned from the saffron party in October last year.
Deshmukh and Fandavis will file their nomination papers in Nagpur on Friday.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Disha Patani Shares Insta Story Featuring Tiger Shroff, Captions it 'Bhai Bhai'
- Sanya Malhotra Grooves to Ghungroo from War, Sets Dance Floor and Social Media on Fire
- Here's All About Indian Army Sourced Nissan Jonga SUV Bought by MS Dhoni
- Top WhatsApp Features Arriving With Upcoming Updates For iOS and Android
- 'Bhag Bhag Aaya Sher': Cricket Fans Decode Virat Kohli’s Viral Expression During Ranchi Test