Congress Names 140 Candidates For Delhi Civic Polls
The Delhi unit of the Congress released its first list of 140 candidates for the upcoming civic polls in the capital on Saturday night.
File photo of Delhi Congress chief Ajay Maken.
New Delhi: The Delhi unit of the Congress released its first list of 140 candidates for the upcoming civic polls in the capital on Saturday night.
Names of the rest of the candidates for the three Delhi Municipal Corporations with a total of 272 members would be announced on Sunday, Delhi Congress chief Ajay Maken tweeted.
"Winnability and opinion of grass root level party workers have dominated the candidate selection process," Maken said.
Twenty-one of the 140 candidates are sitting councillors, the Delhi Congress said in a statement.
"We are giving tickets to seven sitting councillors in North, eight in South and six in the East Delhi municipal corporations. Out of the 140 candidates announced so far, 119 are first-time contenders," it added.
The Bharatiya Janata Party, which is yet to declare its candidates, had announced that it would not give tickets to any of its sitting councillors.
Voting for the three municipal corporations of East, South and North Delhi will be held on April 23 and the results declared on April 26.
The last date for filing nominations is April 3 (Monday).
Recommended For You
- Kapil Arrives in Mumbai to Shoot New Season of The Kapil Sharma Show; See Pic
- Canada Becomes the Second Country to Legalise Cannabis
- Kaneez Surka: I Am Not Going to Let Internet Dictate When I Need to Answer
- Happy Birthday Eminem: 10 Songs That Prove No One Can Beat the Rap God
- Xiaomi Mi TV 4A Pro 49 Review: We Are Rubbing Our Eyes, This Just Cannot be Real