Congress Names Six Candidates from Punjab For Lok Sabha Polls
Four sitting Members of Parliament from the party were renominated from their constituencies.
The Congress CEC on Tuesday to finalised its six Lok Sabha candidates from Punjab. The six candidates include Preneet Kaur, the wife of Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh and a three-time former MP, to contest from Patiala, the home district of the CM.
Four sitting Members of Parliament, including PPCC chief Sunil Kumar Jakhar from Gurdaspur, Chaudhary Santokh from Jalandhar, GS Aujla from Amritsar and Ravneet Singh Bittu from Ludhiana were renominated from their constituencies.
The CEC is expected to decide for seven more candidates contesting from the state soon.
The renomination of Aujla comes as a surprise as the Congress party was not planning to re-nominate him considering discord between him and the sitting Congress MLAs.
Punjab with 13 Lok Sabha seats goes to polls in a single phase. All the 13 constituencies will vote in the last and the seventh phase on May 19.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- On Aarav's Birthday, Akshay Kumar Says He is Glad to Be on His Son's Speed Dial
- 5-Years-Old Recreates 'Up' Moment With Great Grandparents for Birthday Photoshoot
- Denmark Buys 4 Elephants from Circus to Protect Their Rights and Welfare
- 2020 Women's U-17 FIFA World Cup to be Held in India from November 2-21
- Newton Trends on Twitter After Railway Minister Piyush Goyal Says 'Einstein Discovered Gravity'