Cong’s Jairam Ramesh Takes Dig at States Diluting Modi Govt's Motor Vehicles Act
BJP governments in Gujarat and Uttarakhand have already announced reduction in fines, which have risen steeply in the amended motor vehicles law.
File photo of Congress leader Jairam Ramesh. (Reuters)
New Delhi: Senior Congress leader Jairam Ramesh on Friday took a swipe at the Modi government over states "diluting" the 2019 Motor Vehicles Act, saying they are quoting the same article of the Constitution that BJP leader Arun Jaitley had invoked in 2013 to dilute the Land Acquisition Act.
BJP governments in Gujarat and Uttarakhand have already announced reduction in fines, which have risen steeply in the amended motor vehicles law, while Uttar Pradesh government is mulling reducing the penalties.
Post imposition of the Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Act, 2019, from September 1, hefty penalties by police for breaking traffic rules have hit headlines.
"Modi government had pushed states to dilute progressive 2013 Land Acquisition Act. Now states (including BJP-ruled ones) are diluting 2019 Motor Vehicles Act quoting the same Article of the Constitution that Jaitley invoked to weaken Land Acquisition Act and Gadkari is crying foul," Ramesh said.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Ayushmann Khurrana-Nushrat Bharucha's Dream Girl Song Removed from YouTube Over Copyright Issues
- Tom Hiddleston Reveals Chris Hemsworth Punched Him While Filming The Avengers
- Happy Daughter’s Day 2019: Meet the Famous Father-Daughter Duo of Bollywood
- Sonakshi Sinha Replies to People Trolling Her For Not Answering KBC Ramayan Question
- Sony Bravia A9G OLED Master Series Review: The TV to Buy If You Are Rich Enough