CPI Veteran Gurudas Dasgupta Passes Away at 83 Due to Lung Cancer
Dasgupta, known for his oratory skills, was elected to the Rajya Sabha in 1985.
Kolkata: Veteran CPI leader and former MP Gurudas Dasgupta died on Thursday following a prolonged illness, party sources said. He was 83. Dasgupta is survived by his wife and daughter.
He was suffering from lung cancer for last several months, West Bengal CPI secretary Swapan Banerjee said.
"He (Dasgupta) passed away at his home in Kolkata at 6am. He was suffering from lung cancer for quite some time. Due to his poor health he had relinquished party posts but was a member of CPI national executive council," Banerjee said.
Dasgupta, known for his oratory skills, was a veteran trade union leader of AITUC. He was elected to the Rajya Sabha in 1985. He was also a member of the Lok Sabha from Panskura in 2004 and Ghatal in 2009.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Deepika Padukone’s Witty Response to Fan Saying ‘I love you’ to Ranveer Singh Goes Viral
- Kim Kardashian Meets Rodney Reed After Texas Court Stays His Execution
- Enjoying Retired Life, Don't Want to Play Throughout Year: Yuvraj Singh
- Ranveer Singh Nailing Kapil Dev's 'Natraj Shot' Has the Internet Hooked
- UP Power Minister Gets Prepaid Electricity Meter at Home to Set Example for Other Politicians