Denied a Congress Ticket, Mizoram Speaker Hiphei Resigns from Party and Joins BJP
The BJP is yet to announce its candidate for the Palak constituency and sources said Hiphei is now likely to be the party's choice.
Image for representation
Aizawl: Mizoram Speaker Hiphei resigned from his post on Monday after his name did not feature in the list of Congress candidates for the upcoming Assembly elections in the state. Later in the day, he joined the BJP.
A senior leader in Mizoram, Hiphei was elected MLA from Palak constituency in the 2013 polls. He was a Rajya Sabha member for two terms and his joining the BJP is seen as a major setback for Congress in Mizoram.
Hiphei said he submitted his resignation letter to Deputy Speaker R Lalrinawma, who accepted it.
The BJP is yet to announce its candidate for the Palak constituency and sources said Hiphei is now likely to be the party's choice. Voting for the Mizoram Assembly elections will take place on November 28 and results will be announced on December 11.
Mizoram is the only state in the north-east under the Congress rule.
Recommended For You
- Hrithik Roshan's Cousin Says Sunaina is 'Vulnerable,' Asks People to 'Not Act as Vultures'
- Kota Girl Does The Impossible, Cracks All Major Competitive Exams in India
- Bharat Box Office Collection Day 14: Salman Khan, Katrina Kaif Film Earns Rs 201.86 Crore
- A Deleted Scene in Game of Thrones has All The Answers About Cersei's Pregnancy
- This DC Modified Mahindra Marazzo Can Make a Luxury Private Jet Shy
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s