DMK Leader Kanimozhi to Organise Protest For Women's Quota Bill
Earlier, Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan had also appealed to all the political parties to come together for passing in a respectful manner the bill for giving 33 per cent reservation to women in Parliament and state legislatures.
DMK leader Kanimozhi
New Delhi: DMK leader M Kanimozhi on Thursday said that she and her party will organise a protest in support of Women Reservation Bill, which is likely to be attended by women MPs from other parties also.
"DMK will organise a protest in support of Women's Reservation Bill on March 20 at Jantar Mantar. I am personally approaching all parties especially women MPs to take part in this protest," Kanimozhi said.
Various prominent women MPs including NCP leader Supriya Sule are likely to take part in the protest.
The 108th Constitution Amendment Bill, or popularly known as the Women's Reservation Bill, was introduced 20 years ago and has so far only managed to get the nod of the Rajya Sabha.
It was introduced by the Deve Gowda government in 1996 and was passed by the upper house in 2010.
As per the draft, the seats were to be reserved for women on a rotation basis and would be determined by draw of lots, in such a way that a seat would be reserved only once in three consecutive general elections.
Catch the biggest newsmakers and the biggest newsbreaks on CNN-News18, the only news destination. Keep watching CNN-News18 at just 50 paise per month. Contact your cable/DTH operator now!
*Rental/capacity fee of Rs. 130/- as charged by cable/DTH operator may apply. **GST extra.
Recommended For You
- Roger Federer to Play French Open for First Time Since 2015
- Sridevi Bungalow: Janhvi Kapoor Walks Away When Asked About Priya Prakash Varrier Film
- Could Facebook be Hit With Record Fine For Privacy Violations Involving Our Information?
- Amazon Great Indian Sale Vs Flipkart Republic Day Sale: Discounts on Apple, OnePlus, Smartphones And More
- 'Where Art Thou?' Romeo, The World's Loneliest Frog, Just Found His Juliet
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s