DMK Stages Stir against Railway Examinations in English & Hindi, Urges Goyal to Withdraw Instruction
Led by MP Kanimozhi, party leaders, including R S Bharathy and MP Kalanidhi Veerasamy staged the protest and raised slogans in front of the Southern Railway office in Chennai.
File photo of DMK president MK Stalin.
Chennai: DMK leaders and workers staged a protest here on Saturday against the Railway Ministry's instruction to hold competitive examinations in English and Hindi.
Led by MP Kanimozhi, party leaders, including R S Bharathy and MP Kalanidhi Veerasamy staged the protest and raised slogans in front of the Southern Railway office here, party sources said.
Later, the leaders presented a memorandum to the Southern Railway general manager Rahul Jain opposing the Ministry's move to hold the examinations in the two languages.
DMK chief M K Stalin said the instructions by the Ministry were against 'language equality'. "The Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam opposes such discriminatory practices and reiterates that the Union government immediately ensure that all Indians are treated equally, irrespective of their linguistic or geographical background" he said. Stalin urged Railway Minister Piyush Goyal to withdraw the instructions soon.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Google May Move Data of UK Users Out of EU As Post Brexit Data Privacy Rules Remain Unclear
- Rare Pic of Alia Bhatt and Shaheen Bhatt from Their Childhood will Make Your Day
- Stoners Out: To Limit Crowds, Amsterdam May Soon Ban Tourists from Visiting Cannabis Cafes
- Ranveer Singh, Deepika Padukone's Resemblance to Kapil Dev and Romi Bhatia in '83 Will Amaze You
- Kohli Just 'Invited' the Internet to Meme His Comical Photo and Desi Fans Didn't Disappoint