E Palaniswami to be Sworn in as Tamil Nadu CM Today
Edappadi K Palaniswami, AIADMK General Secretary V.K. Sasikala's confidant, will be sworn in on Thursday at 4 pm as the new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, the Raj Bhavan announced.
File image of AIADMK senior leader and highways minister Edappadi K Palaniswami. (Image: PTI)
Chennai: Edappadi K Palaniswami, AIADMK General Secretary V.K. Sasikala's confidant, will be sworn in on Thursday at 4 pm as the new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, the Raj Bhavan announced.
The Governor told the minister, who was earlier elected leader of the AIADMK legislature party after Sasikala's legal troubles, to take oath on Thursday evening, the Raj Bhavan said.
Palaniswami will has to prove his majority in the assembly within 15 days, the Governor's office said.
The decision was conveyed to Palanisamy when he called on the Governor earlier in the day.
The news triggered wild celebrations at a resort near here where AIADMK MLAs backing the now jailed Sasikala are holed up.
Palaniswami's supporters claimed on Wednesday night that he had the backing of 124 of the 135 party legislators as opposed to acting Chief Minister O. Panneerselvam.
AIADMK sources said Panneerselvam, who had wanted to remain the Chief Minister, went into a huddle with his supporters after the Governor told Palaniswami to take the oath.
Recommended For You
- Superstar Mahesh Babu's Madame Tussauds Wax Statue Unveiled, Flown from Singapore to Hyderabad for Fans
- Salman Khan's Bharat Trailer to be Showcased with Avengers: Endgame
- PM Narendra Modi’s Picture on Air India Boarding Pass Under Criticism on Social Media
- Netflix is Flexing Its AI Muscles, With The Episode Ordering Experiment For Love, Death + Robots
- Jawa to Auction Motorcycles to Raise Funds for Armed Forces Ahead of Deliveries
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s