EC Bans Pragya Thakur From Campaigning for 72 Hours Over Comments on 26/11 Hero, Babri Masjid
The EC said though Pragya had apologised for her statement against the slain IPS officer, it found the statement to be 'unwarranted'.
New Delhi: The Election Commission on Wednesday barred BJP candidate from Bhopal Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur from campaigning for 72 hours for her remarks on former ATS chief Hemant Karkare and Babri mosque demolition.
The panel "strongly condemned" her remarks" and "warned her "not to repeat the misconduct in future".
The EC said though Pragya had apologised for her statement against the slain IPS officer, it found the statement to be "unwarranted".
The ban would come into force from 6.00 AM, May 2 (Thursday).
Pragya had said Karkare was killed in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack because of her "curse" as he "tortured" her when he probed the Malegaon blast case as chief of the Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS).
She also had said that she was "proud" of her participation in the demolition of the Babri mosque at Ayodhya in 1992.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Australian Open 2020 Rafael Nadal vs Nick Kyrgios LIVE Score and Updates: Rafa Faces Kyrgios After Stan Wawrinka Shocks Daniil Medvedev
- Want Dark Mode on WhatsApp Web Also? Here's How to Enable it on Chrome, Firefox And Opera
- Kids Have This Really Cool Trick With Apple AirPods to Talk Without Actually Speaking
- Republic Day 2020: 2,471 People Take 'Plank Challenge' In Mumbai, Create Guinness World Record
- Jio and Snapchat Launch 10-second Creative Challenge And Jio’s Got Talent Lens for Snap