EC Issues Show Cause to Congress' Sanjay Nirupam on Jibe Against Modi
The Commission said that prima facie, Sanjay Nirupam has violated the provisions of the model code by making the remarks and has 24 hours to respond to the notice.
File photo of Congress leader Sanjay Nirupam.
New Delhi: Congress leader Sanjay Nirupam was issued a show cause notice by the Election Commission on Tuesday for his "modern-day avatar of Aurangzeb" jibe against Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
He has been given 24 hours to respond.
The Commission said that prima facie, Nirupam has violated the provisions of the model code by making the remarks.
"The people of this constituency chose a person (PM Narendra Modi) who is actually the modern-day avatar of Aurangzeb. Because in Varanasi, in the name of corridors, hundreds of temples have been demolished on the instruction of Prime Minister Modi," Nirupam had said at a public meeting in Varanasi last Tuesday
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Hrithik Roshan-Tiger Shroff's War Stands Tall Over Joker, The Sky Is Pink at Box Office
- 15-year-old Coco Gauff Beat Jelena Ostapenko to Win First WTA Title at Linz
- Trailers This Week: Vijay, Atlee's Bigil Impresses Shah Rukh Khan
- Pune Electric Bus Seen Charging Through a Generator – That Runs on Diesel: Watch Video
- ‘Lo Chali Main’: Renuka Shahane Just Had a ‘Hum Aapke Hain Koun’ Moment and Twitter is LOLing