BJP Fields S Jaishankar from Gujarat Rajya Sabha Seat Hours After He Formally Joins Party
Jaishankar, a career diplomat and a former foreign secretary, was sworn in as a Cabinet minister along with other members of the government on May 30.
External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar joins BJP today in the presence of party working president JP Nadda. (Image: Twitter/@BJP4India)
New Delhi: The BJP on Monday named External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar as its candidate for a Rajya Sabha seat from Gujarat, hours after he joined the saffron party in the presence of its working president JP Nadda.
Jaishankar, a career diplomat and former foreign secretary, was inducted by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his government and given the high profile ministry in a surprise development.
He was sworn in as a Cabinet minister along with other members of the government on May 30.
A minister who is not a member of Parliament has to be elected as its member within six months of his or her swearing in.
His joining the BJP was a mere formality after he was inducted in the government. He became a party member at a ceremony at its office in Parliament.
Bypolls to two Rajya Sabha seats were necessitated after BJP president Amit Shah and another party leader Smriti Irani were elected to the Lok Sabha, causing the vacancies.
The BJP is set to win both the seats. It has named Jugalji Mathurji Thakor its candidate for the second seat.
Recommended For You
- Ali Fazal Catches Up with Game of Thrones Actress Nathalie Emmanuel, See Pic
- Nach Baliye 9 Contestant Vishal Aditya Singh Says He is Not Friends with Madhurima Tuli
- Have You Tried Solving this ‘Maths Meme’ that Has Left People Scratching Their Heads?
- ICC World Cup 2019 | Rohit And Bumrah Makes It To The ICC World Cup XI
- Amazon Prime Day Sale: There is a 43-inch Samsung For Rs 28,999 And a Fire TV Stick is Bundled With it