First Phase of Local Body Elections Commence in Tamil Nadu
The polls are being held excluding the nine districts where the delimitation exercise has to be completed.
Chennai: The first phase of elections to elect councilors, panchayat union presidents and ward members for the local bodies commenced in Tamil Nadu on Friday. The second phase will be held on December 30.
The dates for the much awaited polls were announced by the State Election Commission early this month. The polls are being held excluding the nine districts where the delimitation exercise has to be completed.
These newly formed nine districts are Kancheepuram, Chengalput, Vellore, Tirupattur, Ranipet, Villupuram, Kallakurichi, Tirunelveli and Tenkasi. According to sources nearly 1.30 crore voters are set to exercise their franchise on Friday and about 1.28 crore in the second phase.
Around three lakh election officials have been engaged in poll related works.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Just a Video of Elephant Taking a Stroll in Sri Lankan Hotel and Inspecting Things With its Trunk
- Happy Birthday Sushant Singh Rajput: From Kai Po Che to Chhichhore, How Taking Risks Paid off for Him
- Bigg Boss 13: Himanshi Khurana Blames Shehnaz Gill For Her Break Up
- Rohit Sharma Hilariously Trolls Yuzvendra 'The Rock' Chahal With Viral Tattoo Meme
- 'We Got You': Canadians Raise Funds to Buy Gear for Hockey-Loving Syrian Refugee Boy