Former SP Leader, Spokesperson Gaurav Bhatia Joins BJP
Former national president of Samajwadi Party's (SP) legal wing and spokesperson Gaurav Bhatia on Sunday formally joined the Bhartiya Janta Party (BJP).
A file photo of Gaurav Bhatia.
New Delhi: Former national president of Samajwadi Party's (SP) legal wing and spokesperson Gaurav Bhatia on Sunday formally joined the Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP). In a stunner of sorts, Gaurav Bhatia, just five days before the UP elections, had resigned from all the posts he held in SP.
At the time of his resignation, Bhatia had refused to disclose the reason why he was leaving the party before sending his resignation to the party patriarch Mulayam Singh Yadav, and then UP CM Akhilesh Yadav.
Former Samajwadi Party leader and spokesperson Gaurav Bhatia joins BJP in Delhi. pic.twitter.com/33t0ms2BBJ
— ANI (@ANI_news) April 2, 2017
However, later, in a post on social media, Bhatia had mentioned that his decision was "firmly entrenched" in his "principles of democracy and socialism".
In his decade-and-a-half-long association with the party, Bhatia represented SP on numerous TV debates and was a regular on prime-time. He was appointed as the additional advocate general to represent the state in the apex court in 2012.
Adding further, he had written, "It is hard for me to continue serving the party when it is compromising the very principles of democracy, secularism & socialism that I have always believed in."
Recommended For You
- Arvind Kejriwal Visits Transport Authority Office, Directs Opening of Vehicle Fitness Test Centres Across City
- BMW G 310 R, G 310 GS Prices Leaked Ahead of Launch, Starts at Rs 2.75 Lakh
- Neeraj Chopra Strikes Gold at French Meet
- 3000 Runs as Captain @ 83 - Virat Kohli Ticks Off Another Milestone
- Ant-Man and the Wasp: Marvel's Wishy-Washy Feminism is Just a Gimmick to Make Box-Office Hits