Counting of votes have started for Corporation of City of Panaji (CCP) in Goa that took place on March 20. According to the latest updates, BJP is leading in Panaji with 25 seats. The results will be declared on 6 municipal councils, 30 wards of the Corporation of City for Panaji (CCP), 22 panchayat wards and one zilla panchayat.
The elections were held for the CCP and the civic bodies of Canacona, Curchorem-Cacora, Bicholim, Cuncolim, Valpoi and Pernem. The bypolls were also held for Zilla Panchayat constituency of Navelim and several other panchayat wards. While the CCP recorded the lowest voter turnout at 70.19 per cent, the Pernem municipal council had the highest, with 91.02 per cent people exercising their votes.
Here are the latest updates from the civic body polls:
• BJP-backed candidates have taken a strong lead. BJP-backed panel wins 25 of 30 wards in Corporation of the City of Panaji elections.
• Panaji MLA Atanasio Monserrate’s son Rohit Monserrate wins from ward no. 3 in City of Panaji polls.
• The result will decide the fate of 95 candidates who are in the fray for Corporation of City for Panaji polls.
• CCP has the highest number of candidates at 95. A total of 48 candidates are in the fray from Curchorem, 37 in Pernem, 31 at Canacona and 23 at Valpoi.
• Five candidates, one in Aalpoi and four in Panchayats have already been declared winners unopposed.