Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar has won the trust vote in the 40-member Assembly with 23 MLAs backing him. One Congress MLA walked out right before the vote, bringing down the required majority mark to 20.
Stay tuned for live updates
Mar 16, 2017 1:05 pm (IST)
Digvijaya Singh reacts to Manohar Parrikar;s floor test win
Finally Money Power proves to be stronger than People's Power.
Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar won trust vote on the floor of the Goa Legislative Assembly on Thursday, putting an end to the political crisis in the coastal state for now.
Mar 16, 2017 12:38 pm (IST)
Manohar Parrikar addresses a press conference in Goa after winning floor test
- The floor test had to be clear the speaker made us stand and the count was clear: Goa CM Manohar Parrikar
- We have won the floor test, debunking Digvijaya's claim that they have the numbers
- There was talk that Digvijaya has stepped down as desk in-charge. This happens when you come to Goa only to enjoy and not to work
- There are wild allegations being made with coloured glasses. As you saw, everyone voluntarily came and voted. Nobody was kept in a hotel or secluded place
- It is a government of coalition and decision in this regard will be taken by the coalition
Mar 16, 2017 12:31 pm (IST)
22 MLAs support CM Manohar Parrikar in Goa assembly
16 MLAs opposed, 22 supported and one was absent during the Goa floor test
NCP’s Churchill Alemao votes in favour of the BJP government
Mar 16, 2017 12:25 pm (IST)
Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar clears the floor test
Mar 16, 2017 12:23 pm (IST)
Goa floor test begins
Mar 16, 2017 12:20 pm (IST)
More half of the MLAs have been sworn-in, few more to go
Mar 16, 2017 12:17 pm (IST)
Sources in the Congress party told IANS on condition of anonymity, that the Congress leadership, which is being accused of acting sluggishly and thereby losing the opportunity to form the government, is now in contact with leaders from the MGP and GF, requesting them to switch over.
The Congress needs only four more MLAs to reach the crucial mark.
Mar 16, 2017 11:51 am (IST)
Here’s how Manohar Parrikar may get to touch the magical figure of 22 in the 40-seat Goa Assembly:
The Congress has 17 seats in the Goa Assembly, four short of majority mark and has been unable to enlist the support of non-BJP MLAs
Mar 16, 2017 11:48 am (IST)
The first MLA to be sworn-in in the Goa Assembly today was Dayanand Sopte, the Congress leader who registered a record win against former CM Laxmikant Parsekar in Mandrem constituency
Mar 16, 2017 11:36 am (IST)
Oath taking of MLAs underway at Goa Assembly.
Mar 16, 2017 11:35 am (IST)
Pratap Singh Rane, Congress leader said that the party will prove majority in the floor test. “We have the people with us,” he said. Earlier, Goa Congress chief Luizinho Faleiro had expressed his confidence saying, “Congress is united and strong and we will prove our majority in Assembly”
Mar 16, 2017 11:31 am (IST)
Goa Assembly session begins
Mar 16, 2017 11:26 am (IST)
BJP used money power in Manipur and Goa to form government: Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi in Chandigarh
Mar 16, 2017 11:17 am (IST)
Special Goa Assembly session will begin shortly
- First on the agenda is the swearing-in of all the 40 MLAs.
- Second, Speaker will call for a floor test, asking the chief minister to prove his strength.
Mar 16, 2017 11:09 am (IST)
BJP spent Rs 1,000 cr to lure Goa MLAs: Congress
The Congress claimed that Rs 1,000 crore had been spent on horse-trading and luring non-Congress legislators by the BJP to form a coalition government in Goa earlier this week.
"Nothing less than Rs 1,000 crore have been spent by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) to lure and buy MLAs over to their side," All India Congress Committee (AICC) Secretary Girish Chodankar said.
Mar 16, 2017 11:04 am (IST)
Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar would present budget in Goa Legislative Assembly on March 24, which he said would indicate the "mind" of the BJP-led coalition government.
Mar 16, 2017 11:04 am (IST)
Vijay Sardesai, leader of the Goa Forward Party which is backing Manohar Parrikar, tells CNN-News18: The BJP was quicker. They deemed Goa important enough to send their minister (Parrikar) back from Delhi to Goa. Now there will be more development here too. This is why we supported the BJP. The Congress has many grand old men all vying for power. They could not have decided a leader and provided stability, so there was no point in going with them. They have backstabbed me twice, tried to scuttle my political plans. Digvijaya Singh is not really responsible for this mess in Congress.
Mar 16, 2017 10:57 am (IST)
Manohar Parrikar, whose party has 13 MLAs, had staked claim to form the government on Sunday mustering the support of three MLAs each from the Goa Forward Party (GFP) and the Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party (MGP) and three Independents, which together took the tally of the combine to 22.
Mar 16, 2017 10:51 am (IST)
After being sworn-in as the Chief Minister, Manohar Parrikar exuded confidence that his government would be stable and run the full five year term.
Let everyone be very clear that this government will last for its full tenure. I agree the mandate is fractured. But if every fraction of the fractured mandate comes together, we will become 22. This is bringing together post-election coalition and the lead has been taken by regional parties, not me: Manohar Parrikar
- In Goa and Manipur Congress, couldn’t stake the claim. The Honourable Governor found BJP has the numbers to lead the state. We were called to form the governmnet. They went to court and even the court asked them to prove the numbers. Now they are writing blogs. If you have the numbers prove it on the floor of the Assembly. They are making absurd allegations of horse-trading: Venkaiah Naidu
- People rejected the Congress in 2014. It should have understand its role as a constructive Opposition. Now, Congress should understand its role now: Venkaiah Naidu
Mar 16, 2017 9:41 am (IST)
Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar reaches state assembly, ahead of the floor test at the special session today. pic.twitter.com/wg0buMIP0v
Overcoming the Congress challenge and a petition in the Supreme Court, Manohar Parrikar was on Tuesday evening sworn in as the Chief Minister of Goa.
Mar 16, 2017 9:07 am (IST)
This swearing-in ceremony of Manohar Parrikar as the Chief Minister of Goa is a big scam and BJP has resorted to unfair means. Throughout Goa people are protesting as to why the saffron party did such a low act to come to power, and why is the media not showing all this: Om Prakash Mishra, Congress leader told ANI
Mar 16, 2017 8:53 am (IST)
Vishwajeet Rane, son of veteran Congress leader and former chief minister Pratapsinh Rane, questioned the "delay" in electing the Congress Legislature Party (CLP) leader.
- Ideally, the CLP leader should have been elected immediately (after the poll results). Party's Goa Incharge has done this mismanagement: Rane
- I will meet Rahul Gandhi before taking any further step. I am hopeful that Rahul ji will give us justice. If he does not respond, then we will feel that we are not in right party and we will take decision after consulting our workers: Rane
- We will have to quit the Congress if such kind of behaviour continues: Rane
Mar 16, 2017 8:38 am (IST)
Governor Mridula Sinha has summoned the first session of the new Assembly to meet at 11:30am. The MLAs will take oath first, following which the floor test would be conducted