Gopalkrishna Gandhi Files Nomination for Vice Presidential Elections
Gopalkrishna Gandhi has been picked by 18 opposition parties to be their nominee for the post of vice president.
Gopalkrishna Gandhi was the governor of West Bengal from December 2004 to December 2009. (Photo: Getty Images)
New Delhi: Former West Bengal governor Gopalkrishna Gandhi on Tuesday filed his nomination for vice president in the presence of senior Congress and other opposition leaders, including from the JD(U).
Gandhi has been picked by 18 opposition parties to be their nominee for the post of vice president.
The Congress was represented by senior leaders such as president Sonia Gandhi, vice president Rahul Gandhi, former prime minister Manmohan Singh as well as Ghulam Nabi Azad and Mallikarjun Kharge as the former West Bengal governor filed his papers in the parliament complex.
Also present were other opposition leaders, including JD(U)'s Sharad Yadav, CPI(M)'s Sitaram Yechury, CPI's D Raja, NCP's Tariq Anwar and Praful Patel, NC's Farooq Abdullah and DMK's Kanimozhi.
The vice presidential is scheduled to be held on August 5.
Gandhi will contest against the NDA's candidate Venkaiah Naidu.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- U2 Mumbai Concert: Ranveer-Deepika Wear Fanny Packs, Sachin Tendulkar Attends
- Priyanka Chopra Wraps up The White Tiger, Reminds RajKummar Rao to Keep Sending Memes
- WWE TLC 2019: Date, Time, Match Card and Everything You Need to Know
- Bigg Boss 13: Kamya Punjabi Slams Madhurima Tuli for Insulting the Transgender Community
- As K3G's Turns 18, Here Are Some of the Funniest 'Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham' Memes