Govt Aware of Pakistan Expanding Nuclear Weapons Capability, Says Defence Minister
The minister said the government was 'committed to take all necessary steps to safeguard national security and respond to any threat suitably and adequately'.
File photo of Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman.
New Delhi: The government said it was aware of reports on expansion of Pakistan's capability for production of fissile material for nuclear weapons and asserted that it was committed to take all necessary steps to respond to any threat "suitably".
Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, replying to a question in Lok Sabha on Wednesday, said the government continues to monitor developments in this regard.
"Government is aware of reports on the expansion of Pakistan's capability for fissile material production for nuclear weapons, the expansion in its delivery capabilities and purported development of tactical nuclear weapons," she said.
The minister said the government was "committed to take all necessary steps to safeguard national security and respond to any threat suitably and adequately".
To a separate question on whether India has lost any territory as a result of international agreement and wars since independence or whether the country has gained any foreign territory through global pacts or wars during the period, she said the information is being collected form the ministries concerned.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- NASA Satellite Images Show Fires Still Burning May Be Reason for Poor Air Quality in North India
- PM Modi Becomes Most Followed Leader with 30 Million Followers on Instagram
- Post Wedding, Justin Bieber Gifts 'Wifey' Hailey Baldwin Adorable Hand-made Necklace
- All-New BMW 3-Series Test Drive Review: Performance in the Lap of Luxury
- Karan Johar Addresses Whether Kareena, Alia Getting Paid Equally to Their Male Co-actors in Takht