Gujarat Rajya Sabha Elections: How BJP's Calculation Went Haywire
The polls saw late night drama as the Election Commission reject votes of two rebel Congress MLAs for violating electoral rules, thus enabling Patel to with 44 votes. It seems the BJP got its poll arithmetic wrong.
File photo of BJP chief Amit Shah.
New Delhi: Ahmed Patel, Congress chief Sonia Gandhi’s political advisor, scored a major victory by beating the BJP nominee in a Rajya Sabha election in Gujarat. The polls saw late night drama as the Election Commission reject votes of two rebel Congress MLAs for violating electoral rules, thus enabling Patel to with 44 votes. It seems the BJP got its poll arithmetic wrong.
BJP’s calculation was 176 MLAs x100/4
(Value of each MLA is 100 divided by the number of candidates)
So every candidate needed 44 to win. However, the Congress pushing for disqualification of 2 MLAs brought down this tally.
So it became 174x100/4= 43.5
The overall tally was brought down to 43.
BJP was sure that second preference vote of its MLAs would mean Balwantsinh Rajput will be through, which didn't happen.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro and gain access to curated markets data, trading recommendations, equity analysis, investment ideas, insights from market gurus and much more. Get Moneycontrol PRO for 1 year at price of 3 months. Use code FREEDOM.
Recommended For You
- Party of Four on the Way: Lisa Haydon Announces Second Pregnancy with Adorable Post
- Deepika Padukone's 'Daddie' Remark for Ranveer Singh Has Fans Guessing if She's Pregnant
- Hilarious 'Alag Alag' Memes from Ayushmann's 'Dream Girl' Trailer Bring Twitter Together
- Instead of Putting Unsold Stuff in a Garbage Dump, Amazon Will Donate it Instead
- Ashes 2019: Ponting Advises Warner to Take Aggressive Route Against Broad