It's Panneerselvam Vs Sasikala. Here's What Happens Now
In a dramatic midnight twist, O Panneerselvam launched a rebellion against ‘Chinnamma’ VK Sasikala, dealing a blow to her chief ministerial ambitions. He revealed how we was “continuously humiliated and forced to resign” as the CM, and said he would consider withdrawing his resignation if “that’s what the people want”.
VK Sasikala and O Panneerselvam at an AIADMK meeting on Sunday. (Pic from @AIADMKOfficial)
Chennai: In a dramatic midnight twist, O Panneerselvam launched a rebellion against ‘Chinnamma’ VK Sasikala, dealing a blow to her chief ministerial ambitions. He revealed how we was “continuously humiliated and forced to resign” as the CM, and said he would consider withdrawing his resignation if “that’s what the people want”.
Panneerselvam’s dramatic statements capped a day of high drama that saw charges and counter-charges over the death of Jayalalithaa fly thick and fast between the AIADMK and rebel leaders.
Here’s a look at what’s likely to happen in the coming days:
- Panneerselvam may take back his resignation as the Chief Minister, which he says he was forced to tender
- To stay on as the CM, Panneerselvam needs to prove his majority on the floor of the Assembly. Governor Vidyasagar Rao is likely to invite him for the floor test.
- AIADMK MLAs, who had elected Sasikala as the Legislature Party leader on Sunday, at the moment, seem to be backing Sasikala. The coming days are likely to see hectic parleys between rival camps to win over their support.
- Deepa Jayakumar, niece of the late Jayalalithaa, is likely to come out in support of Panneerselvam on Wednesday. She has been projecting herself as Jayalalithaa's political heir since the CM's demise.
- The issue could also echo in Parliament with Congress spokesperson Randeep Singh Surjewala accusing Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the BJP of engineering Panneerselvam’s “defection”.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro and gain access to curated markets data, trading recommendations, equity analysis, investment ideas, insights from market gurus and much more. Get Moneycontrol PRO for 1 year at price of 3 months. Use code FREEDOM.
Recommended For You
- Sonam Kapoor Has Iodine Deficiency, Issues Warning to Vegetarians and Vegans
- Sophie Turner Dances Arm in Arm with Priyanka Chopra's Mother
- Woman Whose Rendition of Lata Mangeshkar Classic Went Viral Records Song
- First Details of The OnePlus TV Confirmed: It Will Have a 55-Inch QLED Panel
- Android 10 Confirmed to Arrive on All Nokia Smartphones