Take the pledge to vote

For a better tommorow#AajSawaroApnaKal
  • I agree to receive emails from News18

  • I promise to vote in this year's elections no matter what the odds are.
  • Please check above checkbox.

    SUBMIT

Thank you for
taking the pledge

Vote responsibly as each vote counts
and makes a diffrence

Disclaimer:

Issued in public interest by HDFC Life. HDFC Life Insurance Company Limited (Formerly HDFC Standard Life Insurance Company Limited) (“HDFC Life”). CIN: L65110MH2000PLC128245, IRDAI Reg. No. 101 . The name/letters "HDFC" in the name/logo of the company belongs to Housing Development Finance Corporation Limited ("HDFC Limited") and is used by HDFC Life under an agreement entered into with HDFC Limited. ARN EU/04/19/13618
LIVE TV DownloadNews18 App
News18 English
News18 » Politics
1-min read

Jagan Govt Issues Guidelines for Implementation of 10% EBC Quota in Educational Institutions

The 10 per cent reservation will be in addition to the existing 50 per cent reservation given to Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and the Other Backward Classes, taking the total reservation to 60 per cent.

Syed Ahmed | News18

Updated:July 28, 2019, 11:35 PM IST
facebookTwitterskypewhatsapp
Jagan Govt Issues Guidelines for Implementation of 10% EBC Quota in Educational Institutions
File photo of Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy.
Loading...

Amaravati: The Andhra Pradesh government has issued guidelines for implementation of 10 per cent reservation for Economically Backward Communities (EBCs) in educational institutions. Another order for implementing the same in jobs and services will be issued soon.

The 10 per cent reservation will be in addition to the existing 50 per cent reservation given to Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and the Other Backward Classes, taking the total reservation to 60 per cent. Among the sections it targets are the poor among the upper castes.

In January this year, the Narendra Modi government had approved 10 per cent reservation for EBCs and had accordingly amended the Constitution to add it to the existing 50 per cent quota for SCs, STs and OBCs.

General category individuals whose total family income is less than Rs 8 lakh per annum and who have less than five acres of agricultural land will qualify for the same.

Chief Minister Jagan Mohan Reddy decided to implement the quota in the state. With this, the previous Chandrababu Naidu regime’s decision to implement five per cent quota for the Kapu community within the EBC will be cancelled automatically.

Reservations in education and employment was the community’s long-standing demand in Andhra Pradesh. Ahead of the elections in 2014, Naidu had promised the same to the community under the OBC category.

A commission, headed by Justice Manjunadha, was formed to examine the position of the backward classes. But the Manjunadha Commission couldn’t establish the need to provide reservation to the community.

However, under pressure from the TDP government, members of the commission submitted another report after Justice Manjunadha resigned. The state government had approved the report in the Assembly and had sent it to the Centre for approval, which had rejected the Assembly resolution on reservations.

The Naidu government afterwards took advantage of the Centre’s 10 per cent EBC quota to allocate five per cent of it to the Kapus.

Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.

Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro and gain access to curated markets data, trading recommendations, equity analysis, investment ideas, insights from market gurus and much more. Get Moneycontrol PRO for 1 year at price of 3 months. Use code FREEDOM.

Read full article
Loading...
Next Story
Next Story

Also Watch

facebookTwitterskypewhatsapp

Live TV

Loading...
Countdown To Elections Results
To Assembly Elections 2018 Results