Kapil Row has Exposed BJP's Anti-corruption Claim: Congress
In a sarcastic remark, Surjewala said the bribe allegations have shown what kind of "Achee Din" have come for artists.
File photo of comedian Kapil Sharma.
Chandigarh: Congress on Friday said the BJP government's claim of zero tolerance towards corruption "stood exposed" after stand-up comedian Kapil Sharma alleged that he had been asked to pay a bribe of Rs 5 lakh by an official of the civic body BMC in Mumbai.
"I think popular artist Kapil Sharma being openly asked for Rs 5 lakh bribe exposes Modi government's claims of zero tolerance towards corruption," Congress' spokesperson Randeep Singh Surjewala said.
In a sarcastic remark, Surjewala said the bribe allegations have shown what kind of "Achche Din" have come for artists.
"Whether they do anything for common people or not, but now the manner in which bribe is being sought from reputed artists and the way they are harassed, it shows what Achche Din have come," he said.
A controversy erupted earlier today after Kapil Sharma alleged that he had been asked to pay a bribe of Rs 5 lakh by an official of the civic body BMC which, in turn, claimed that the actor had carried out "illegal construction" at his office for which a notice had been served on him.
In a series of tweets, Kapil levelled the bribe allegation and tagged Prime Minister Narendra Modi, asking if this was the "achche din" (good days) he had promised.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Shahid Kapoor and Ishaan Khattar's Maternal Grandmother Passes Away
- Shraddha Kapoor and Stylist Get Called Out for Copying This Outfit
- This Instagrammer Is Photoshopping a Godzilla Into all Of His Travel Photos
- Transfer News and Rumours LIVE: Latest Updates From Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, Real Madrid, Barcelona
- Reliance Jio Q3 2019-20 Results: Subscriber Base Jumps to 370 Million as of December 31, 2019