Kartarpur Election Results 2017: Chaudhary Surinder Singh of Congress Wins
INC's candidate Chaudhary Surinder Singh has won the seat by defeating AAP's Chander Kumar and SAD's Sat Paul.
INC's candidate Chaudhary Surinder Singh has won the seat by defeating AAP's Chander Kumar and SAD's Sat Paul. He got 46,729 votes.
The main candidates from Kartarpur were Balwinder Kumar (BSP), Chander Kumar (AAP) and Ch. Surinder Singh (INC) and Sat Paul (SAD).
In 2012, the state had voted in favour of the BJP-Akali Dal combine, bringing Parkash Singh Badal back to power.
Having remained a traditional Congress seat, the Akali Dal has managed to grab it in the last two elections. Ch. Surinder Singh is close to Capt. Amrinder Singh.
This time the ruling combine faced off against a resurgent Congress and the debutant Aam Aadmi Party. The state was the first to vote among the five states that went to the polls this time. Elections to the 117-seat Punjab assembly were held on February 4.
Exit polls have predicted a drubbing for the BJP-Akali Dal combine in the state with the Congress and the AAP predicted to be neck-and-neck.
For live Punjab assembly election results click here
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Inspired by 50s Puppet Show or Just for Appeal? Internet is Wondering What 'Howdy Modi' Means
- Salman Khan Miffed with Ranbir Kapoor's Tentative Film's Title Devil?
- After Burning it Out at The Gym, Disha Patani Slays the Dance Floor with Killer Moves
- Google For India: Understanding Google Pay Virtual Tokenized Cards For Secure Payments
- OnePlus 7T With Round Triple-Camera Module Revealed in Official Press Image