Man Held With Rs 1 Crore Cash in Asansol, Claims to be Bengal BJP Chief’s Assistant
The two accused were intercepted by the railway police at Asansol station, when they were trying to board a train to Kolkata.
Image for representation. (Image: PTI)
Kolkata: Two persons, one of whom claimed he was a personal assistant of West Bengal BJP chief Dilip Ghosh, were arrested from Asansol railway station on Monday, following the seizure of unaccounted cash amounting to Rs 1 crore from their possession, railway police sources said.
Gautam Chattopadhyaya and Lakshmikant Shaw were intercepted by the railway police at Asansol station, when they were trying to board a train to Kolkata, they said.
Chattopadhyay, after his arrest, said he worked as an assistant to Ghosh.
"They were carrying a huge bag with them and were moving suspiciously at Asansol station when the officers spotted them. When we searched the bag, we found cash amounting to Rs 1 crore," they said.
During interrogation, both admitted that they were taking the cash to Kolkata, the sources added.
A couple of days ago, the state police had seized over Rs 1 lakh from BJP's Ghatal candidate and former IPS officer Bharati Ghosh's vehicle.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Neha Kakkar Gets Emotional After Hearing Indian Idol Contestant's Story
- Ranveer Singh Gets Cheeky with Deepika Padukone on Social Media
- You Can Now Stay in Barbie's Iconic Pink Dream House in Malibu for Just Rs 4,200
- Alexa, Pay my Mobile Bill: India Gets Amazon Pay And Alexa Payments Feature First
- Truecaller Makes a Big Privacy Pitch as Focus on Instant Messaging Intensifies