Manipur Elections 2017: All You Need to Know
The first phase of elections in the state will cover 38 constituencies for which 1,643 polling stations have been set up in areas spread over Imphal East, Imphal West, Bishnupur and the hill districts of Churachandpur and Kangpokpi.
The state has a 19,02,562-strong electorate comprising 9,28,573 male voters and 9,73,989 female voters.
Imphal: Manipur heads to the polls on Saturday amidst tight security arrangements.
The first phase of elections in the state will cover 38 constituencies for which 1,643 polling stations have been set up in areas spread over Imphal East, Imphal West, Bishnupur and the hill districts of Churachandpur and Kangpokpi. In all, 168 candidates will contest in the first phase. The second phase will be held on March 8.
ALSO READ: TMC Eyes 2012 Repeat Performance in Manipur
In the run-up to the election for the 60-member House, all political parties in their campaigns mainly focused on the continuing economic blockade imposed by the United Naga Council and the state government's inability to break it. The other important issues which hogged the attention of the political parties are alleged lack of development, massive corruption, misappropriation of funds and worsening law and order in the state.
Here's a look at the key players and the previous elections in the state:
Catch the Biggest Newsmakers and the Biggest Newsbreaks on CNN-News18, your favourite English TV news channel. Keep watching CNN-News18 at just 50 Paise per Month. Contact your cable /DTH operator Now!
*Rental / capacity fee of Rs.130/- as charged by cable / DTH operator may apply. **GST extra.
Recommended For You
- Cristiano Ronaldo Pleads Guilty to Tax Fraud at Madrid Court, Accepts Suspended Sentence
- Daughter Riddhima Shares Throwback Photos on Rishi and Neetu Kapoor's 39th Wedding Anniversary
- Video of Sara Ali Khan and Malaika Arora Working Out Together is Breaking the Internet, Watch Here
- Guinness World Records Makes a Man Eat Humble Pie After His Failed Pi Memorisation Record 'Attempt'
- Samsung to Stop Making Flagship Phones in India, Protesting Phased Manufacturing Programme
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s