Bhojpuri Actor-Turned-Politician Manoj Tiwari is Delhi BJP Chief
Bharatiya Janata Party President Amit Shah on Wednesday appointed Manoj Tiwari as the Delhi unit chief, an official statement said.
BJP MP Manoj Tiwari comes to Parliament on bicycle. (ANI)
New Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party President Amit Shah on Wednesday appointed Manoj Tiwari as the Delhi unit chief, an official statement said.
"Manoj Tiwari will replace Satish Upadhyay as BJP chief with immediate effect," the statement said.
Manoj Tiwari's appointment, who represents Northeast Delhi Constituency, was pending for a long time.
The BJP's move to appoint Tiwari is being seen as an effort to reach out to Poorvanchali voters.
About 28 to 30 percent of the voters in Delhi are migrants from Uttar Pradesh and Bihar.
Earlier Congress mobilised this vote under Sheila Diksht, who got three terms. Later, the AAP was also able to use it to good advantage.
In the last Delhi elections, 28 AAP MLAs were from Poorvanchal.
The BJP also declared Nityanand Rai as its Bihar unit chief.
Rai is a Yadav, a community over which RJD chief Lalu Prasad has a strong hold.
His appointment is seen as an effort by the BJP to go beyond the upper castes, its traditional voters, and reach out to the OBCs in the caste-conscious state where it lost to JDU-RJD combine in the last assembly polls.
Rai represents Ujiarpur constituency of Bihar in the Lok Sabha.
Previously, the Bihar unit of the BJP was headed by Mangal Pandey.
Recommended For You
- Rohit Involved in Funny Twitter Exchange With Mumbai Indians
- Controversial Tweet on Ambedkar Came From Fake Hardik Pandya Account
- Top 5 Motorcycles to Buy in a Budget of Rs 3 Lakh to Rs 7.5 Lakh
- Salman Khan Bats For Jacqueline Fernandez's Performance In 'Ek Do Teen' Remake; See Tweet
- Facebook Data Breach: If Germany and Brazil Can, What Stops India From Summoning Social Media Giant?