Meerut Election Results 2017: Rafiq Ansari of Samajwadi Party Wins
Dr Laxmikant Bajpai from BJP has been defeated by Rafiq Ansari of Samajwadi Party in Meerut Constituency.
Rafiq Ansari of Samajwadi Party has defeated Dr Laxmikant Bajpai of BJP from Meerut Constituency.
The main candidates from Meerut were DR. Laxmikant Bajpai (BJP), Pankaj Jauli (BSP), Gyanendra Kumar Sharma (RLD), Rafiq Ansari (SP).
From Bharatiya Janata Party Brahmin leader, Laxmikant Bajpai is the former UP chief. He is facing Samajwadi Party’s Rafeeq Ansari while Pankaj Jolly who is Punjabi is a contesting from RLD. Bajpai has the advantage being a four-time MLA, SP having the only Muslim candidate may give it an edge.
In the 2012 Assembly elections, the Bharatiya Janata Party defeated the Samajwadi Party by a margin of 6,278 votes to win this constituency. Laxmikant Bajpai, the winning Bharatiya Janata Party candidate, got 68,154 votes. Rafeeq Ansari of Samajwadi Party, the nearest contender, got 61,876 votes. The voter turnout was 64.26 %.
The ruling Samajwadi Party (SP) in Uttar Pradesh had in 2012 won 224 seats spread across 75 districts. It has tied-up with Congress this time in the contest against Bharatiya Janata Party and Bahujan Samaj Party.
Elections to 403 seats of Uttar Pradesh were held over 7 phases from February 4 to March 8.
Exit polls had predicted the BJP emerging first in Uttar Pradesh with the Samajwadi Party- Congress alliance emerging second and Mayawati's Bahujan Samaj Party emerging a distant third.
For live Uttar Pradesh assembly election results click here
Recommended For You
- Neither Contesting Elections Nor Campaigning for Any Political Party: Salman Khan
- Happy Holi 2019: From Rang Barse to Badri Ki Dulhania, Turn on the Festive Vibe With These Songs
- Wholly Made Up in Bollywood, the Real Holi Can Get a Lot Dirtier
- Decoding The Voluntary Code of Ethics Binding FB, Twitter, WhatsApp, TikTok During 2019 Polls
- Vivo X27 Pro With 48-Megapixel Camera, Snapdragon 710 SoC Announced
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s